UConn vs Iona Prediction March Madness Picks Experts, 03/17

UConn vs Iona Prediction March Madness Picks Experts, 03/17

Photo Credit: © David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports

 

Preview

The Men's Basketball Championship West Region 1st Round is finally here, and the Iona Gaels will take on the UConn Huskies on March 17, 2023, at the MVP Arena in Albany, NY. The game will air on TBS at 1:30 PM EST, and it promises to be an exciting matchup between two solid teams. The Huskies come into this game as the favorites, with a -9.0 point spread, but can the Gaels pull off an upset? Let's dive deeper into both teams to help you make the best bets.

 

Iona Gaels

The Iona Gaels come into this game with a 27-7 overall record and a 17-3 conference record in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. They had an impressive run in the conference tournament, winning all three games and securing a spot in the NCAA tournament. The Gaels are led by guard W. Clayton Jr., who averages 16.9 points per game and shoots an incredible 95.1% from the field. Forward N. Junior Joseph is their top rebounder, averaging 9.4 rebounds per game.

In their last five games, the Gaels have won all five games, with an average margin of victory of 16.4 points per game. Their offense has been on fire during this stretch, averaging 82.6 points per game while shooting 53.3% from the field and 38.7% from three-point range. The Gaels have covered the spread in 20 of their 34 games this season, making them a solid ATS team.

 

UConn Huskies

The UConn Huskies finished the regular season with a 25-8 overall record and a 13-7 conference record in the Big East Conference. They lost in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament to Marquette but still earned a spot in the NCAA tournament. The Huskies are led by forward A. Sanogo, who averages 16.8 points per game and 7.3 rebounds per game. Guard T. Newton leads the team in assists, averaging 4.6 assists per game.

In their last five games, the Huskies have won three and lost two, with one of those losses coming to Marquette in their last game. During this stretch, they have averaged 76.4 points per game while shooting 47.5% from the field and 34.6% from three-point range. The Huskies have covered the spread in 21 of their 33 games this season, making them a strong ATS team as well.

 

Betting Trends

According to ESPN Analytics, the UConn Huskies have a strong 80.8% chance of winning this game, with the Iona Gaels having just a 19.2% chance of pulling off an upset. The point total for the game is set at 141, with the Huskies favored by -9.0 points.

 

Public Betting Data

The public betting data for this game is also in favor of the UConn Huskies. According to the PickCenter on ESPN, 68% of the bets are on the Huskies to cover the spread, while only 32% of the bets are on the Gaels to cover. The money line is also heavily skewed in favor of the Huskies, with 80% of the bets placed on them to win outright.

 

Prediction

Based on the betting trends and public betting data, it seems clear that the UConn Huskies are the favorite to win this game. They have a solid overall record and a higher strength of schedule than the Iona Gaels, and they have played in a tougher conference. The Gaels have had a good season, but they haven't faced the same level of competition as the Huskies.

The key to this game will be the performance of the UConn defense. The Huskies have one of the best defenses in the country, allowing just 63.2 points per game, while the Gaels average 78.1 points per game. If the Huskies can slow down the Gaels' offense and force them into turnovers, they should be able to cover the -9.0 point spread.

 

PICK: UConn Huskies -9 (-110)

 

In conclusion, the Men's Basketball Championship West Region 1st Round matchup between Iona Gaels and UConn Huskies is shaping up to be an exciting game. While the Gaels have had a good season, the Huskies are the stronger team and should be able to cover the -9.0 point spread. Don't forget to download the KingPin.pro iOS and Android app for expert picks, betting trends, and public betting data on all of your favorite sports.

Winnings $94,500
last 30 days winnings $0
Yesterday winnings $0
Top Sport NCAAB
W-L-D 308 - 140 - 2
Winnings % 68%
Winnings $31,130
last 30 days winnings $0
Yesterday winnings $0
Top Sport NCAAB
W-L-D 404 - 267 - 5
Winnings % 60%
Winnings $2,680
last 30 days winnings $0
Yesterday winnings $0
Top Sport NBA
W-L-D 78 - 52 - 1
Winnings % 60%