Rockies vs Pirates Prediction MLB Picks Today 4/18

Rockies vs Pirates Prediction MLB Picks Today 4/18

© Isaiah J. Downing-USA TODAY Sports

 

Pirates vs Rockies: MLB Game Preview for April 18, 2023

The Pittsburgh Pirates will take on the Colorado Rockies in a National League matchup on April 18, 2023, at Coors Field in Denver, Colorado. MLB picks experts, MLB picks computer, and MLB picks and parlay predictions have been made, and today’s experts MLB picks have the Pirates favored to win with a 51.4% probability, while the Rockies have a 48.6% chance of winning. The betting odds have the money line at even, with the over/under set at 12 runs. The probable pitchers for this game are Vince Velasquez for the Pirates and Jose Urena for the Rockies. Velasquez has a record of 1-2 with an ERA of 5.40, while Urena has a record of 0-2 with an ERA of 6.75. Both teams have had a slow start to the season, with the Pirates holding a 9-7 overall record and the Rockies at 5-11. The Pirates are 6-4 away from home, while the Rockies are 3-4 at home. Both teams will be looking to

 

Pirates: Pitching Analysis

The Pittsburgh Pirates have experienced a mixed start to the 2023 MLB season, currently sitting at 9-7 overall with a 6-4 record on the road. The team's success largely depends on their pitching staff, and so far they have shown both promising moments and areas of concern. Starting pitcher Vince Velasquez (1-2, 5.40 ERA) has had a rough start to the season, struggling to find consistency on the mound. He will be taking the mound against the Colorado Rockies in their upcoming matchup, and the Pirates will need him to limit the Rockies' offense. On the flip side, reliever Roansy Contreras (2-0, 1.04 ERA) has been a bright spot for the Pirates. He has provided much-needed stability and consistency in the bullpen, recording 11 strikeouts in just over 8 innings pitched. Overall, the Pirates' pitching staff has shown potential with a team ERA of 3.93, ranking 13th in the league. However, they have also struggled with giving up home runs, allowing 19 in just 16 games played. 

Pirates' Hitting:

The Pirates' hitting has been inconsistent so far this season, but they have shown flashes of potential. With a lineup led by Bryan Reynolds and his five home runs, the Pirates have managed to average 4.13 runs per game. However, their offense has struggled to get on base, with an OBP of just .315. The Rockies' pitching, on the other hand, has been the weaker link. Their team ERA of 4.99 ranks in the bottom third of the league, and their WHIP of 1.453 is the fourth-worst in the MLB. While their defense has been solid, with a double plays/game of 1.13, their pitching staff has let them down. When looking at the matchup predictor, the Pirates are given a 51.4% chance of winning, while the Rockies have a 48.6% chance. MLB picks experts and computer MLB picks both favor the Pirates, as do MLB picks and parlay options. 

 

Rockies: Pitching Analysis

Experts, computer picks, and MLB predictions have not been kind to the Colorado Rockies this season. With a 5-11 record and a struggling offense, the Rockies have relied heavily on their pitching to keep them in games. The pitching staff, led by starters Vince Velasquez and Jose Urena, has shown flashes of brilliance but has struggled with consistency. Velasquez, with a 1-2 record and a 5.40 ERA, has been the most reliable starter, while Urena, with an 0-2 record and a 9.00 ERA, has struggled early on. The bullpen, anchored by closer Brad Hand, has been a bright spot for the Rockies. Hand has recorded two saves and has yet to allow a run in his five appearances. Pierce Johnson and Dinelson Lamet have also been solid in relief. As for today's game against the Pittsburgh Pirates, experts and computer picks give the Rockies a slight edge with a 51.4% chance of winning. The over/under is set at 12, with even odds on the moneyline. Overall, if the Rockies pitching staff can continue to perform at a high level and the offense starts to produce,

Rockies: Hitting Analysis

The Rockies have struggled on the offensive side of the ball so far this season, ranking near the bottom of the league in most major statistical categories. Their batting average of .253 has been respectable, but their on-base percentage of .304 and slugging percentage of .395 leave much to be desired. MLB picks experts and computer MLB picks and predictions have not been high on the Rockies' offense this year, and it's easy to see why. They have hit just 15 home runs through their first 16 games, good for 22nd in the league. They are also near the bottom of the league in runs scored, RBIs, and extra-base hits. Despite their offensive struggles, there are a few bright spots on the Rockies' roster. Leadoff hitter Raimel Tapia is hitting .304 with an on-base percentage of .333. Charlie Blackmon, still a force at 35 years old, has driven in a team-high 11 runs and has an OPS of .750. Ryan McMahon has also shown some power, hitting three homers and slugging .489. Overall, the Rockies' offense has a lot of work to do if they want to be competitive in the NL West

 

Injury Report:

Injuries can drastically impact a team's performance, and the MLB is no exception. That's why looking at teams' injury reports is crucial for MLB picks experts, computer analysis and MLB picks em predictions. Today, on April 18, 2023, the Pittsburgh Pirates will be missing RP Chase DeJong and RP Rob Zastryzny, while 1B Ji-Man Choi is on the 10-day IL. On the other hand, the Colorado Rockies will be missing RP Daniel Bard, RF Randal Grichuk, and SP Antonio Senzatela, all on the 15-day IL. Gavin Hollowell is listed day-to-day. 

Player Team Position Injury Status
Chase DeJong Pittsburgh Pirates RP 15-day IL
Rob Zastryzny Pittsburgh Pirates RP 15-day IL
Ji-Man Choi Pittsburgh Pirates 1B 10-day IL
Daniel Bard Colorado Rockies RP 15-day IL
Randal Grichuk Colorado Rockies RF</

 

Prediction

Based on the MLB picks experts and MLB picks computer predictions, the Pittsburgh Pirates will come out on top in their game against the Colorado Rockies. While the Rockies have struggled with a 5-11 record and a lower ranking in several offensive and defensive categories, the Pirates have shown strength with a 9-7 record and a more well-rounded team. Therefore, the pick for this game is: Pittsburgh Pirates. 

 

Pick: Pirates ML

Upgrade to View Prediction
Winnings $83,830
last 30 days winnings ($260)
Yesterday winnings $0
Top Sport MLB
W-L-D 1299 - 1121 - 96
Winnings % 51%
Winnings $77,680
last 30 days winnings ($320)
Yesterday winnings $770
Top Sport MLB
W-L-D 636 - 420 - 12
Winnings % 59%